NEONCROSS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEONCROSS

The official NEON CROSS discussion Forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Old School vs. New Metal

Go down 
+2
James B.
Dave
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave

Dave

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2007-06-30

Old School vs. New Metal Empty
PostSubject: Old School vs. New Metal   Old School vs. New Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2007 11:33 pm

Back in the day we grew up on UFO, Aerosmith and the mighty Zep.
My personal favs were Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Deep Purple.
Don is still a KISS fan and Terry loves The Who.

When we first hit the scene we were part of the new wave of metal with Ratt, Motle Crue, Quiet Riot and Great White...oh yeah, Stryper and Holy Soldier too. Wink

Today metal has changed a lot (and so have we). Rage rock bands like POD and goth/theatrical like Evenesence or MCR.
There's even a retro sound like Jett and Wolf Mother.
What's your fave? The old or the new?
What sets them apart?
Back to top Go down
James B.

James B.

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Old School vs. New Metal   Old School vs. New Metal Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2007 11:01 am

I like Ultimatum alot
Back to top Go down
nick_c

nick_c

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Old School vs. New Metal   Old School vs. New Metal Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2007 9:04 am

Quote :
I like Ultimatum alot

I'm wearing my Into The Pit shirt at the moment. Very Happy

I prefer an old school sound. I never thought I would never be one of "those guys" who made comments like "All this new music is just a bunch of noise", but that's really all it sounds like to me.

No hooks, little to no melody and vocals that sound like cookie monster with a throat infection. None for me, thank you. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
James B.

James B.

PostSubject: Re: Old School vs. New Metal   Old School vs. New Metal Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2007 11:30 am

Quote :
I'm wearing my Into The Pit shirt at the moment

I got one of those as well on the preorder
Back to top Go down
nick_c

nick_c

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Old School vs. New Metal   Old School vs. New Metal Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2007 3:01 pm

Cool! did you get the poster as well? I love that artwork Rex did for them. Cool
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Old School vs. New Metal   Old School vs. New Metal Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2007 1:54 am

Poster? T-shrit? Sure sounds like old school! Laughing
Back to top Go down
James B.

James B.

PostSubject: Re: Old School vs. New Metal   Old School vs. New Metal Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2007 7:29 pm

no poster Crying or Very sad

I like the artwork alot
Back to top Go down
_Wes

_Wes

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2007-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Old School vs. New Metal   Old School vs. New Metal Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 9:01 am

Ultimatum rocks, most def.

I like a lot of the new metal . . . coming from Europe. Bands that have the qualities you're talking about - melody, hooks, a Singer - this is happening a lot over in Europe.

Some of the bands - Symphony X, Firewind, Dream Evil, Porcupine Tree, Narnia, Rob Rock, Audio Vision, Theocracy, Redemption, Echoes of Eternity, Pagan's Mind, Threshold, Krucible, Circle II Circle, Circus Maximus, Savage Circus, Outworld, Thunderstone, Kamelot - the list goes on.

There is good music being made - you just have to know where to look these days.

Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.StrangeLand.us
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Old School vs. New Metal   Old School vs. New Metal Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 11:17 pm

I like all the bands I mentioned. And all for different reasons.
I really, really dig the sound coming out of Auz right now. It's sorta "new classic rock". cheers
Back to top Go down
James B.

James B.

PostSubject: Re: Old School vs. New Metal   Old School vs. New Metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 9:27 am

My ol' lady (WIFE) Shocked calls me "The head-banging Dead Head"

or often enough "the musical oxy-moron" with emphasis on moron
Back to top Go down
Jeffdls

Jeffdls

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2007-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Old School vs. New Metal   Old School vs. New Metal Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 10:43 am

While I still love my old school metal, I also like some of the newer stuff. Even some black and death metal. Mostly, I prefer thrash and power.

Faith Factor is a great power metal band. If you get a chance, check them out http://www.faithfactorband.com/page%201.htm
Back to top Go down
fishingd

fishingd

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2007-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Old School vs. New Metal   Old School vs. New Metal Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2007 11:27 am

Jeffdls wrote:

Faith Factor is a great power metal band. If you get a chance, check them out http://www.faithfactorband.com/page%201.htm

I would have to agree Jeff, This new Faith Factor ep is killer stuff cyclops
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/fishingd1
Jeffdls

Jeffdls

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2007-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Old School vs. New Metal   Old School vs. New Metal Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 2:15 pm

And the cool thing is that Faith Factor has been invited to Cornerstone 2008 cheers
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Old School vs. New Metal   Old School vs. New Metal Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 7:15 pm

I'm wondering when someone in the Christian realm is gonna step up to the plate and start doin' that retro-hard rock that's comin' round.
Jett and Wolfmother totally rock and I've heard some other stuff that's in that same vien...all secular.
I totally dig the vibe and the music, but the lyrics just don't speak to me.
It's like biting into a big juicy burger and finding it's all fluff.

Anyway...I think you'll be pleased with the anthology.
Depending on the reaction we get there will be subsequent releases of previously unreleased albums like NCII and NC17.
Lotsa new stuff comin' too.
Back to top Go down
James B.

James B.

PostSubject: Re: Old School vs. New Metal   Old School vs. New Metal Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 9:19 pm

hope it happens Dave....really I do... you guys deserve it and it will be worth the wait Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old School vs. New Metal   Old School vs. New Metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Old School vs. New Metal
Page 1 of 1